Tax Bill Instructions
Pay Bills Online
Taxpayers may now view or pay bills at Hamden’s My Tax Bill website. As of November 1, 2014, there will be a charge of $0.50 per page for copies of tax bills and payment histories.
Real Estate, Motor Vehicle & Personal Property Bills
Real estate, motor vehicle, and personal property bills are three-part bills.
The first coupon to be returned with your July payment. A taxpayer copy can be retained for your records and for income tax filing. The second payment coupon can be used with your January payment (if applicable). Two installment bills may be paid in full in July.
If a bank or mortgage company is responsible for paying your Real Estate Taxes, please contact them if the Real Estate Tax Bill was mailed to you.
- This will be the only tax bill that you will receive. If you are paying in two installments, please save the second coupon for the January installment, as no additional bill will be mailed at that time. Two installment bills may be paid in full in July.
- Tax bills under $250 are due July 1st in one installment.
- If payment is not made on or before October 1st, 2020, the first installment will be delinquent. (Exclusions apply for Escrow accounts and Landlords. All Escrow payments are due by August 3rd, 2020. Landlords who did not apply and get approved for the deferment, must pay by August 3, 2020.) The second installment and/or the supplemental bill will be delinquent if payment is not made on or before February 1st, 2021. For payments made after these due dates, please call 203-287-7140 for the new total due.
- Tax bills are subject to a penalty of 1.5% per month (18% per annum) from the original due date of the installment. Minimum interest is $2. Connecticut law places the responsibility of prompt payment on the taxpayer even if you did not receive a bill. Please call us if you think you are missing a bill. Any delinquent bill can be turned over to a collection agency.
Tips When Making Payments
- If "back taxes due" appears on your bill, please call 203-287-7140 before making payment.
- If you no longer own your vehicle, or for assessment or exemption questions, please contact the Assessor’s Office 203-287-7128.
- Payments may be made in the office by cash, check or official bank check when we reopen. Credit and debit card and E-check payments can only be made online through Hamden’s My Tax Bill website, or by calling 844-230-4724. A fee is charged to the taxpayer for this service. E-check convenience fee is $0.95 and debit/credit card fee is 2.95%.
- When making payments, we encourage you to pay by mail. Envelopes must be postmarked prior to the delinquent date to be considered on time. Please use the return envelope provided to mail in your payment.
Our mailing address for on time payments only:
P.O. Box 150426
Hartford, CT 06115-0426
For the remainder of the year, please send to us directly at:
2750 Dixwell Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
- You may add up all your bills and write one check payable to Collector of Taxes - Hamden. Please write the list number(s) on your check as well as a phone number.
- Your canceled check is your receipt. Receipts are no longer available for mail payments.