Town Clerk Responsibility
The Town Clerk’s office is responsible for the supervision, distribution and final accounting of the Absentee ballots through the Secretary of State’s office. Absentee ballots are available by application 31 days before an election, and 21 days before a primary for those electors who cannot vote in person the day of the election.
Reasons for Absentee Ballot Voting
Any qualified registered voter may vote using an absentee ballot for the following reasons:
- Absence from town during all election hours
- Active service in the military
- Illness or physical disability
- Religious beliefs forbidding secular activity on election day
- Serving as an election official at a polling place other than your own
Connecticut does not have convenience mail-in voting, and absentee ballots must only be executed for these reasons per the Connecticut State Constitution and state law.
How to Obtain
Absentee ballot applications may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office, or by writing to our office. You can also go to the Connecticut Secretary of State's website to download forms.
Usage of Absentee Ballots
- Candidates may distribute absentee ballot applications. However, no candidate should be in possession of or assist with an Absentee ballot under state law. This is a Class D Felony.
- Anyone may pick up or return an absentee ballot application for another person. Once the ballot is prepared, it must be given in person or mailed to the voter directly.
- An absentee ballot can be issued to qualified voters from a faxed application to this office. However, an application with the original signature must be received before the election or the ballot will not be counted.
- Return of the ballot must be by U.S. Mail, delivered to the Town Clerk’s office by the voter in person or by allowable designee up until 8 p.m. on election day. Allow sufficient time for mailing/returning applications and the ballot.
Your privacy is protected under the law for voting by absentee ballot similar to voting by machine. Your name will not be connected to your vote when it is counted.
For Absentee ballot deadlines: Call the Town Clerk’s office for deadlines for voting by Absentee Ballot, the date of the election, or other information at (203)287-7112.
Registrar of Voters
For information regarding registration to vote or where to vote, call the Registrar of Voters at 203-287-7081.
If you suspect fraud regarding the Absentee Ballots, contact the State Elections Enforcement Commission (SEEC) in Hartford at:
18-20 Trinity Street, Suite 101
Hartford, CT 06106-1628
You can also report fraud by calling 860-566-1776, or by faxing 860-566-4402.