Chatterton Way Culvert Repair Project
The Town of Hamden is planning on conducting repairs to the culvert which carries Jepp Brook under Chatterton Way. The proposed work is to structurally line the existing culvert in place. By lining the culvert, the road will not have to be closed and the disruption to the road and brook will be minimized.
The Town has completed the design and is working with the CTDEEP and the Army Corps of Engineers to obtain the final permits. Once the permits are obtained and the State funds the State/Local Bridge grant program, the Town will be ready to repair the bridge.
What to Expect
Just before construction starts, you can expect to see white paint markings and other color pavement markings where the existing culvert is located. This will not occur until the construction phase which is some months away.
The road will be open for local traffic and emergency vehicles at all times; however significant delays can be anticipated for local traffic. One lane will be needed for the construction equipment during the work day but the road will remain open to traffic. There will be construction equipment and workers in the roadway. Please use caution and leave the crews plenty of work space.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to the culvert being repaired.
Progress to date:
- A State / Local Bridge grant was given to and accepted by the Town by the CT DOT
- The Town has conducted the design of the project.
- Hamden Inland Wetlands Commission approved the project in May 2019
- The Town has submitted the project before the CTDEEP and Army Corp of Engineers and is progressing through the approval process.
- Once approved by the regulatory agencies, the Town will finalize the grant agreement with the CT DOT and sign a Project Agreement Letter which will secure the funds for the project.
- The project will be publicly bid.
- Construction will commence.
We encourage your feedback about the Project. To submit a comment, please feel free to contact the Engineering Department via:
Our main phone number: 203-287-7040
Or email your questions and comments to:
Mark Austin, PE, Town Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or come down to the main office during regular business hours:
Government Center, 3rd Floor
2750 Dixwell Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518