Personnel / Civil Service
The Personnel/Civil Service Department:
- Administers the Life Insurance and Health Insurance benefits for all Town employees and their covered dependents and all retirees and their covered dependents
- Administers the Town's 100 million dollar pension fund including:
- Calculating retirement benefits for all Town and Board of Education employees
- Return of pension contributions
- Rollover of pension funds for all Town and Board of Education employees
- Is responsible for the recruitment and filling of Non-classified positions outside of Civil Service for the Town of Hamden
- Is responsible for the recruitment and testing for all civil service positions included in the Classified Service for both the Town and the Hamden Board of Education
The Personnel/Civil Service Department consists of the following staff positions:
- Director of Personnel/Executive Secretary to the Civil Service Commission
- Human Resources Officer
- Administrative Secretary
- Benefits Manager
Director of Personnel
The Personnel Director represents the Town in all labor relations negotiations, complaints before the State Board of Labor Relations, grievance hearings before the State Board of Mediation and Arbitration, and unemployment hearings before the State Employment Division.
The Director of Personnel also works directly with the Town's Risk Manager regarding Workers' Compensation related matters and attends hearings before the Workers' Compensation Commission. Looking to work for the Town of Hamden? Please see the Job Opportunities page for a current list of job openings. The Town of Hamden is an AA/EEO Employer.
Retirement benefits are administered by a third party through the Human Resource Department for employees in the Town Pension Plan.
Retirement benefits for employee’s retired through the Connecticut's Municipal Employees Retirement System (CMERS) plan are administered through the State.
Teachers retire benefits are administered through the State Teachers Retirement Board.
Collective Bargaining Agreements
- 2014 to 2020 Fire International Association of Fire Fighters 2687 Collective Bargaining Agreement Final (PDF)
- 2014 to 2022 Police United Public Service Employees Union to COPS Local 062 Final (PDF)
- 2017 to 2023 Dispatchers Unit Number 63 Collective Bargaining Agreement Final (PDF)
- 2017 to 2023 Library American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 1303 - 115 Collective Bargaining Agreement Final (PDF)
- 2017 to 2023 Parks Unit Number 36 Collective Bargaining Agreement Final (PDF)
- 2017 to 2023 Public Works Unit Number 1 Collective Bargaining Agreement (PDF)
- 2017 to 2023 Supervisors Unit Number 23 Collective Bargaining Agreement Final (PDF)
- 2017 to 2023 Town Hall Collective Bargaining Agreement - American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 2863 (PDF)
The Town of Hamden is an Equal Opportunity Employer