Absentee Ballots for the September 12, 2023 Hamden Democratic Party Primary are available effective Tuesday, August 22, 2023.
How to Obtain an Absentee Ballot. Submit your Absentee Ballot Application.
- Connecticut Online Absentee Ballot Request Portal
- The Absentee Ballot application can be downloaded via the Connecticut Secretary of State's website “Elections & Voting” to download the form.
- Absentee ballot applications may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office in person, by calling our office at (203) 287-7028, email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to our office.
Absentee Ballot Drop Boxes
Town Clerk Responsibility for Absentee Ballots
The Town Clerk’s office is responsible for the supervision, distribution and final accounting of the Absentee ballots through the Secretary of State’s office. Absentee ballots are available by application 31 days before an election, and 21 days before a primary for those electors who cannot vote in person the day of the election.
Reasons for Absentee Ballot Voting
Any qualified registered voter may vote using an absentee ballot for the following reasons:
- Are you an active member of the armed forces of the United States?
- Will you be out of town on Election Day?
- Does sickness prevent you from voting in person on Election Day?
- Do your religious beliefs prevent you from performing secular activities like voting on Election Day?
- Will you be performing duties as an election official at a polling place other than your own on Election Day?
- Does a physical disability prevent you from voting in person on election day?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are eligible to vote absentee.
Connecticut does not have convenience mail-in voting, and absentee ballots must only be executed for these reasons per the Connecticut State Constitution and state law.
Usage of Absentee Ballots
Candidates may distribute absentee ballot applications. However, no candidate should be in possession of or assist with an Absentee ballot under state law. This is a Class D Felony.
Anyone may pick up or return an absentee ballot application for another person. Once the ballot is prepared, it must be given in person or mailed to the voter directly.
An absentee ballot can be issued to qualified voters from a faxed application to this office. However, an application with the original signature must be received before the election or the ballot will not be counted.
Return of the ballot must be by U.S. Mail, delivered to the Town Clerk’s office by the voter in person or by allowable designee up until 8 p.m. on election day. Allow sufficient time for mailing/returning applications and the ballot.
Your privacy is protected under the law for voting by absentee ballot similar to voting by machine. Your name will not be connected to your vote when it is counted.
RETURN OF ABSENTEE BALLOT Deadlines:
Absentee ballots can be issued up until 4 pm, Monday, September 11, 2023. They can only be issued in person or mailed to the voter. No ballots can be issued on Tuesday, September 12, 2023 the day of the municipal primary.
Absentee ballots must be received by mail or in person by 8 pm, Tuesday, September 12, 2023 to be counted. All absentee ballots will be centrally counted on Primary Election day at 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518.
Call the Town Clerk’s office for other information at (203) 287-7028.
Registrar of Voters
For information regarding registration to vote or where to vote, call the Registrar of Voters at 203-287-7081.
If you suspect fraud regarding the Absentee Ballots, notify the Town Clerk’s office or contact the State Elections Enforcement Commission (SEEC) in Hartford at: email@example.com or call (860)256-2925. Connecticut Secretary of State's websiteConnecticut Secretary of State's website