Paying Taxes During the Pandemic

The Hamden Government Center is currently closed to the public.

For most taxes, the grace period to pay has been extended to April 1, 2021. This applies to all Motor Vehicle and Personal Property taxes. For Real Estate taxes, all escrow payments must be made by February 1, 2021, to avoid interest. If you are a landlord and did not apply for the extension and get approved, you must pay by February 1, 2021, as well. All others have the extended deadline of April 1, 2021. Keep in mind that any payments made on 4/2/2021 or after, will include interest charged back to the original due date of 1/1/2021. Partial payments are always accepted and encouraged if you cannot pay in full by the deadline. You would then be charged interest on the balance only. If you cannot pay your Real Estate or Personal Property tax bill in full by 4/1/2021, you may contact Keith at 203-287-7148 to make a payment arrangement. Interest still applies.

During this time, we offer several ways to make your tax payment:

  1. As always, we encourage you to mail your check in the envelope that was enclosed with your bills. Please write your list number(s) and phone number on your check. Make check payable to Collector of Taxes, Hamden.
  2. You may pay online at The convenience fee for E-check payments is $0.95.  The convenience fee for credit/debit card payments is 2.95%. This is a fee to the payment vendor, not to the Town. Please note that a fee of $20 will be charged for any electronic check payment that is returned for any reason. If you have back taxes due for Motor Vehicles, the online payment option is not available to you. Please call us for information on how to proceed with payment and to find out if you have bills with our Collection Agency. We can be reached at 203-287-7140.
  3. You may use our newly installed drop box. Look for the green boxes to the right of the entrance to our building. The third box is labelled for the Tax Department. This is for checks only, no cash.
  4. We are unable to accept cash payments at this time. If you do not have a checking account, there are many places where you can obtain a money order, including the post office, grocery stores and banks.

Your cancelled check is your receipt. However, if you need a receipt, we ask you to enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. If you arrive at the Government Center to use the drop box and have forgotten that, please put a note on your envelope requesting that we mail one to you. You may also look up your account on our website at about a week after dropping off your payment or mailing your payment.  You will see your payment posted and can print out a record for yourself.

Call us with any questions at 203-287-7140. Our office hours are 8:30 to 4:00, Monday – Friday. We can also be reached at, if you are unable to reach us by phone.  

If you have disposed of a vehicle or registered one out of state, please contact our Assessor’s Office for assistance at 203-287-7128.

We are doing our best to assist everyone during these trying times. We appreciate your patience.

  1. Tax Office


  2. Kathleen Flynn

    Tax Collector
    Phone: 203-287-7140

  3. Keith Marus

    Back Tax Collector
    Phone: 203-287-7148

  4. Liana Paglia

    Administrative Tax Technician
    Phone: 203-287-7143

  5. Roseann Chambasis

    Tax Cashier
    Phone: 203-287-7149