2020 Election Voter Resources
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION – TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2020
WHO ARE WE VOTING FOR:
The Presidential election will be held Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Hamden voters will be selecting Electors for President, Congressional Representative, District 3, State Senator and State Representative. (You can only vote for one of each).
REGISTER TO VOTE (EARLY as Possible):
You must be an active, eligible registered voter to vote in person or obtain an absentee ballot in Hamden. Register now, and avoid late or last minute registrations, and long lines to register on Election Day.
- Do on-line voter registration with Secretary of State website: voterregistration.ct.gov. (They will notify the Registrar of Voters.)
- Email email@example.com to request a voter registration card be emailed, mailed to you or Download attached Voter Reg Card.
- Hamden College students should register now.
- Mail or drop off your VOTER REGISTRATION CARD in secure ballot or drop boxes c/o Hamden Town Clerk, Hamden Government Center, 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518.
VOTING IN PERSON ON ELECTION DAY:
All 10 polling locatIons will be OPEN from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on November 3Rd. All locations will be manned by election workers, and are COVID safe according to CDC guidelines. Social distancing and masks are required. See Polling Locations listed here
Absentee Ballots are available only to active, registered eligible voters unable to get to the polls for seven legitimate reasons, including COVID-19 pandemic (per PA 20-23).
An Absentee Ballot Application must be fully completed BEFORE an absentee ballot can be issued.
· HOW TO OBTAIN AN ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATION:
1) Go to www.portal.ct.gov/sots to download an AB application, (Available in English or Spanish)
3) You can request them now from the Town Clerk for early processing
4) Secretary of State will be mailing applications between September 8-11Th to all eligible voters. (you may get a duplicate if you already completed one)..
· HOW TO COMPLETE AN ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATION:
1) Only the November 3, 2020 application will be accepted for processing. Any application from the August 11th primary will be rejected, and returned.
2) You must complete the application fully with name, address, date of birth, contact information. You must state the reason, date and sign.
(Any omissions or errors will see the application returned to you for correction, delaying the issuance of your ballot).
3) If your mailing address is different from the voting address, it must be clearly stated.
4) If the voter are unable to complete the application, the voter may designate someone to assist. That designee must sign & date the bottom portion of the application.
5) Mail back or put in secure drop or Official Ballot boxes in front of Hamden Government Center, 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden for early processing by Town Clerk’s office. (See Official Ballot Picture attached)
6) Ballots will not be mailed out by the Town Clerk until October 2nd (31 days before election) as first day of issuance.
7) The earlier you return your application, the sooner the ballot can be processed & issued to you. Time is of the essence in this high volume election.
· HOW TO COMPLETE AN ABSENTEE BALLOT: (A, B, & C)
- “A” - the Ballot – fill in bubble for only one candidate per office
- “B”- Inner Yellow (or white) Security Envelope must be signed and dated. (Make sure to put completed ballot inside and seal “B”. Envelope or ballot will be rejected). COVID can be added by voter as a reason per SOTS.
- “C” Return Envelope - Place Completed “B” Security envelope inside of outer “C” return envelope addressed to Town Clerk, Hamden Government Center, 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518. (see INSTRUCTIONS HERE)
HOW TO RETURN AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
1) Completed & SEALED Absentee ballots can be mailed to the above address Or placed into secure white Official Ballot boxes in front of Hamden Government Center.
2) Ballots returned to and verified by Town Clerk will be vaulted until Tuesday, November 3, 2020 when central counting will occur.
3) Only Family members, caregivers and specific individuals under state law are designated and allowed to return another voter’s ballot.
4) If you have submitted a completed absentee ballot to the Town Clerk's office via the drop box or by mail but wish to withdraw it and vote in-person instead, you have up until 5pm on Friday, October 30th to call the Town Clerk's office to have your completed and submitted ballot withdrawn and voided.
*If you wish to vote in person at the polling locations and have not cast your absentee ballot to the Town Clerk's office, you do not need to return your blank absentee ballot to the Town Clerk to be voided before the election and should destroy it at home before voting in person. No absentee ballots will be accepted at any in-person polling place.
5) All ballots must be received by Tuesday, November 3, 2020 by 8:00 p.m. to be counted in this election.
(Be careful of certain websites that would indicate Connecticut does something different)
MILITARY, OVERSEAS & Registered OUT OF COUNTRY VOTERS
Complete, date and sign, and email firstname.lastname@example.org for an early 45 day electronic ballot.
This ballot must be downloaded, completed and returned by USPS or a mail carrier service to arrive on or before November 3, 2020 to be counted.
DO THE FOLLOWING NOW SO YOUR VOTE IS COUNTED:
- EARLY VOTER REGISTRATION IS CRITICAL
- VOTERS CAN VOTE IN PERSON AT THE POLLS
- EARLY ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATIONS COMPLETED
- EARLY ABSENTEE BALLOTS COMPLETED
- EARLY RETURN OF ABSENTEE BALLOTS BY MAIL OR BOX
Vera Morrison, HAMDEN TOWN CLERK 9/1/2020