Hamden Curbside Bulk Trash Collection Service Discontinued for 2020; Funding for Program Eliminated in Legislative Council Approved Budget
Hamden – Hamden’s semi-annual bulk trash collection service, which typically occurred throughout the months of April and October, has been discontinued as a result of the passage of the Legislative Council’s FY2020-2021 approved budget. The bulk trash collection service was eliminated as a cost reduction, which was determined by the Legislative Council to be in the best interests of the fiscal security of the Town. The Mayor had recommended funding for full Fall curbside Bulk Pick-up, with a shorter Spring program anticipated to reduce cost and maintain this service many residents counted on.
Hamden residents wishing to dispose of bulk trash items must now do so by visiting the Hamden Transfer Station or by arranging a private commercial pickup/disposal of your bulk trash items.
“Curbside bulk trash pick-up is a valuable service thousands of Hamden families count on. I did not agree with the removal of funding for this service. Despite the elimination of the funding for the program, we’re going to explore at least a reduced Spring pick-up, of we can find a way to do so cooperatively with the Legislative Council’s financial support. Residents pay substantial taxes in Hamden....paying more and getting less service is just not fair or a good long-term plan for our community’s success.” Said Mayor Curt Balzano Leng
Bulk Trash Items which will no longer be picked up curbside include:
1) mattresses; 2) furniture; 3) rugs; 4) household appliances (washers, dryers, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, toasters, lamps, microwaves); 5) light and heavy iron goods; 6) metal items
As a reminder, the following items are never accepted during regular trash collection.
- hazardous waste including oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, household cleaners, anti-freeze, aerosols, batteries, gasoline, motor oil (contact HazWaste Central at 203-401-2712)
- remodeling, construction and demolition debris from any structure or part thereof, (homeowner must rent a dumpster)
- plumbing fixtures, sinks and pipes; (a single unit or fixture may be accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station)
- tires (a limit of 4 tires per year may be brought to the Hamden Transfer Station)
- vehicle parts, lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment (remove all fluids from engines, dispose of fluids at HazWaste Central and dispose of equipment at a junkyard or metal recycling facility)
- branches, grass, leaves, tree stumps, rocks, sand, and dirt (contact Public Works at (203) 287-2600 for specific guidelines);
- propane tanks (accepted at most home improvement stores);
- computers, televisions and other electronics (bring to Hamden Transfer Station for recycling – be sure to remove the hard drive on your computers first);
- pool covers (accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station).
The Hamden Transfer Station is located at 231 Wintergreen Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518 (NOTE: if using GPS, program in New Haven, or you will end up in the wrong location) and can be reached at 203-387-2435. Transfer Station Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm-3:00pm.
(Please note: The Transfer Station was previously open on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month, but due to budget reductions passed in the FY20-21 operating budget, these weekend hours have been eliminated.”