Bulk Trash Pickup Occurs Throughout October
HAMDEN – The semi-annual bulk trash pick-up program for Hamden has begun. Hamden residents may put bulk trash curbside in front of their homes until October 31st. Acceptable items will be picked up by Hamden’s trash hauler throughout the entire month of October. No phone calls or appointments are necessary. Residents are urged to have bulk at the curb by or before their last regular refuse pick-up day for the month of October. The program will run again in April.
Please remember to place bulk trash away from Town-issued trash and recycling carts and do not place any regular refuse with the bulk trash.
Acceptable items (150 pounds or less) are: 1) ONE mattress per household; 2) furniture; 3) rugs (must be rolled up and tied like a log; no longer than four feet in length); 4) household appliances (washers, dryers, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, toasters, lamps, microwaves); Note: State Law requires the removal of air-tight doors on refrigerators and other appliances; 5) light and heavy iron goods; 6) metal items (place at one end of the pile for separate scrap metal pick-up).
Unacceptable items are:
- hazardous waste including oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, household cleaners, anti-freeze, aerosols, batteries, gasoline, motor oil (contact HazWaste Central at 203-401-2712);
- remodeling, construction and demolition debris from any structure or part thereof, homeowner must rent a dumpster.
- plumbing fixtures, sinks and pipes; a single unit or fixture may be accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station;
- tires (a limit of 4 tires per year may be brought to the Hamden Transfer Station, address below)
- vehicle parts, lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment (remove all fluids from engines, dispose of fluids at HazWaste Central and dispose of equipment at a junkyard or metal recycling facility)
- branches, grass, leaves, tree stumps, rocks, sand, and dirt (contact Public Works at (203) 287-2600 for specific guidelines);
- propane tanks (accepted at most home improvement stores);
- computers, televisions and other electronics (bring to Hamden Transfer Station for recycling – be sure to remove the hard drive on your computers first);
- pool covers (accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station).
The Hamden Transfer Station is located at 231 Wintergreen Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518 (NOTE: if using GPS, program in New Haven, or you will end up in the wrong location) and can be reached at 203-387-2435. Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm-3:00pm and the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month from 8:00am - 11:45am.
Please contact the Recycling Coordinator at 203-287-7021 with any questions regarding bulk trash pickup.
# # #