Real Estate Tax Bill Credits for Qualified Residents
Hamden – The Hamden Assessor's Office will be taking applications for credits on real estate tax bills for qualified elderly and/or totally disabled residents starting February 1, 2022 to May 15, 2022 (please note it is a weekend), from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Applications for additional veteran's exemptions (Income based) will also be taken through September 30, 2022.
Elderly and Disabled Homeowners Program
- Applicant must be 65 years of age or over as of December 31, 2021 or be totally disabled.
- Applicant must own and reside in the home.
- Applicant must have income of $46,400 or less for a married couple or $38,100 or less for a single person.
- 2021 income tax filing must be provided. If income tax filing is no longer needed for you, please submit the Social Security Award Letter and any other 1099 income statements received.
Current Federal Income Tax Return if filed or bank statements showing interest earned, pension statements, dividend statements, casino winnings, and Statement of Earnings from the Social Security Administration (SSA 1099 or SSA 2458)
Additional State and Local Veterans Exemption Programs
- Applicant must qualify for regular veteran's exemption by having served, or be currently serving, on active duty for a minimum of 90 days during a time of war and have filed a notice of honorable discharge or active duty with the Town Clerk.
- An additional veteran exemption program limits income to $46,400 or less for a married couple and $38,100 or less for a single person, unless the veteran has a 100% VA rated disability rating.
- Those limits are $46,400 for a married couple and $38,100 for a single person and only taxable income information must be provided.
- Application for these programs must be completed by September 30, 2022.
There are additional local option programs available.
For further information, please contact the Assessor’s Office at (203) 287-7128.