Real Estate Tax Bill Credits for Qualified Residents
Hamden – The Hamden Assessor's Office will be accepting applications for credits on real estate tax bills for qualified elderly and/or disabled residents from February 1, 2023 through May 15, 2023. Applications for additional veteran's exemptions (income based) will also be accepted through September 30, 2023.
Applications must be submitted in person in the Assessor’s Office. Please bring with you the appropriate income verification documents. The Assessor’s Office is located on the 1st Floor (lower level) of Government Center, 2750 Dixwell Ave, Hamden and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Government Center is accessible to disabled persons.
Applications are available in the Assessor’s Office, and can also be found online by clicking here or navigating to “Forms & Applications” on the Assessor's Office website on hamden.com. If you obtain the application online, please only fill out items 1 through 5. The rest of the application will be completed in person in the Assessor’s Office upon submission.
Elderly and Disabled Homeowners Program
- Applicant must be 65 years of age or over as of December 31, 2022 or be totally disabled;
- Applicant must own and reside in the home;
- Applicant must have income of $49,100 or less for a married couple or $40,300 or less for a single person; and
- 2022 income tax filing must be provided. If income tax filing is no longer needed for you, please submit the Social Security Award Letter and any other 1099 income statements received.
Current Federal Income Tax Return if filed or bank statements showing interest earned, pension statements, dividend statements, casino winnings, and Statement of Earnings from the Social Security Administration (SSA 1099 or SSA 2458) should be provided if applicable.
Additional State and Local Veterans Exemption Programs
- Applicant must qualify for regular veteran's exemption by having served, or be currently serving, on active duty for a minimum of 90 days during a time of war and have filed a notice of honorable discharge or active duty with the Town Clerk;
- An additional veteran exemption program limits income to $49,100 or less for a married couple and $40,300 or less for a single person, unless the veteran has a 100% VA rated disability rating;
- Those limits are $49,100 for a married couple and $40,300 for a single person and only taxable income information must be provided; and
- Application for these programs must be completed by September 30, 2023.
Homeowners and veterans who are currently enrolled in a program and are due to reapply will receive a notice by mail.
For any questions or further information, please contact the Assessor’s Office at (203) 287-7128 or by email at email@example.com.
*revised 12pm 1/31/2023